Thursday, March 8, 2007

Rolling on the rails: Stop #6 - Cut Bank, MT

A very nice couple from Billings is just ahead of me now. People in the Northern Plains have got to be the most polite and friendly in the entire country. And a pretty girl is now behind me, sharing power but we shared those ‘interested?’ glances at each other earlier. Alas, she is about twenty… and the gray I am getting on my head pushes me closer to forty and old enough to be her father.

Big bitch fest from the conductor as we were leaving Havre. Apparently, some people decided to go grocery shopping and held the train by a few minutes. Now these guys are ticked – we missed our time slots (how they keep the trains from colliding) and I saw two BNSF raw material freighters and one intermodal (one with semi-trailers and containers) sided for us eastbound outside of town. Amtrak #8, the eastbound Empire Builder, was pulling into the station about two hours late before the freighters. Amtrak is really pissing off BNSF today and that is bad since that railroad is more accommodating to Amtrak than any other railroad in the U.S. Result? NO MORE SMOKE STOPS.

“They should have Internet on these things”, some stupid looking kid just told me. Yeah, no shit Sherlock. How about power at every seat for starters? Then make this damn thing faster, like the 110-125 that they’re rated for. Power. Internet. Speed. Christ, throw a Bally’s Fitness Car on the suckers, I feel like working out these kinks in my back.

Pulling into Cut Bank, Montana. Will try for WiFi here.


Yes. Linksys.

No comments: